Morning smoothies are a daily ritual in our home. My three year old helps make them, while my 18 month old tugs at my leg in anxious anticipation. Smoothies are a delicious and easy way to get in your daily fruits and vegetables. Rhubarb was the perfect choice for this dessert-style smoothie because it provides a good source of vitamin c, calcium, and fiber.
This smoothie is light and frothy, while offering the perfect balance of tart and sweet.
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp date syrup, pure maple syrup or 2-3 dates
- ½ tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 fresh banana
- 12 oz unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Combine chopped rhubarb, orange juice, date syrup, vanilla and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly and place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes (this can be done ahead of time and you can make more so you can enjoy this all week long).
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth and serve.
Please visit the following link to read more:
Enjoy and have a great day!