and Brian’s recipe for Beany Tahini Burgers with Dreamy Tahini Dressing.
In The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude (New World Library, March 15, 2012), “regular dude” and YouTube cooking sensation Brian Patton shares 100 vegan recipes that are failure-proof, fun, and flavor-filled.
The Sexy Vegan Cookbook covers the basics of cooking, from slicing vegetables to finding the right type of tofu to recreating favorites without meat or dairy. With more than 100 recipes, Brian covers everything from cocktails (according to the Sexy Vegan, the most important meal of the day) to amazing breakfast sandwiches to desserts such as Sailor Peanut Rum Ice Cream. There are appetizers and nachos, pizza and tuna-like sandwiches as well as plenty of salads, pasta, and main dish choices.
Watch the trailer, it gave me quite a laugh. I’m definitely loving Brian’s attitude and sense of humor…something we all need a little more of. =)
You can visit Brian online and watch his fun cooking videos here: http://www.thesexyvegan.com.
Since it’s Memorial Day Weekend and we all know that includes burgers, burgers and more burgers. What better way to celebrate the holiday and Brian’s awesome cookbook than by making one of his fabulous burger recipes.
- Makes 4 burgers
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cooked couscous
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 buns of your choosing, halved
- 2 tablespoons Dreamy Tahini Dressing
- ½ medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- For Dreamy Tahini Dressing:
- Makes 1½ cups
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- For the burgers:
- To make burger patty, in a large bowl, combine chickpeas, couscous, tahini, garlic, orgeano, olives, salt, and pepper. With a fork, potato masher, or your very clean hands, mash all of it together until 90 percent of the chickpeas are mashed. Now that you have this mass, gently fold in the roasted pepper as it would have been destroyed during the initial mixing). Divide the chickpea mixture into four portions and form into ¼-inch-thick patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add your burger patties to the pan, and cook them for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Slather each bun half with dreamy tahini dressing, and assemble the burgers from the bottom up in the following order: 1 bun half, cucumber, chickpea patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, and the other bun half.
- For the Dreamy Tahini Dressing:
- In a food processor or blender, combine the tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, parsley, mint, oil, and paprika, and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I made these into 8 sliders instead of 4 burgers. Alternately, you can bake these at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. I omitted the oil in the Dreamy Tahini Dressing and did not add any salt to either recipe. I also ate mine without the bun and a big green salad. This recipe is fantastic and foolproof. It’s easy, delicious and nutrient-rich. Please go check out Brian’s website http://www.thesexyvegan.com. He definitely has a lot to offer the plant-based world with his creativity and humor, thanks Brian for sharing your cookbook with me. =)
This giveaway is now closed =)
And now for the giveaway!
To enter the contest, leave a comment telling me what’s your favorite burger recipe. Don’t forget to leave your contact information so I can let you know if you win. =)
You MUST leave each entry as a separate comment or only one comment will count.
- Follow Brian @TheSexyVegan on Twitter
- Like The Sexy Vegan on Facebook
- Subscribe to Virtually Vegan Mama
- Like Virtually Vegan Mama on Facebook and leave a comment on my wall.
- Follow Virtually Vegan Mama (@virtveganmama) on Twitter
- Tweet about this giveaway and tell me that you tweeted in the comments section; “I just entered to win The Sexy Vegan Cookbook by Brian L. Patton @virtveganmama”
- Share this giveaway on your Facebook Page and tell me that you did so in the comments section
- Stumble this giveaway
- Pin it
All entries must be completed no later than Monday, June 4th 2012, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Winner will be announced on Tuesday, June 5th 2012, on my blog, and the winner will also be notified via the email address they provided in the comments section.
Good Luck and I know you will enjoy this recipe and Brian’s cookbook!!!
Happy Memorial Day!
Welcome to Virtually Vegan Mama! My name is Jennifer and I am a super busy stay at home mama of three and wife to a loving husband. I'm here to create simple, healthy, plant-based meals to serve my whole family. This is our growing family cookbook and we are sharing it with you.
- Jennifer on Vegan Lifestyle Magazine and the Winner of Vegan Slow Cooker for Beginners Cook Book
- BitoftheGoodStuff Ⓥ (@GoodStuffSharon) on Vegan Lifestyle Magazine and the Winner of Vegan Slow Cooker for Beginners Cook Book
- Jennifer on Portobello Wellington
- kristinamarieyoga on Portobello Wellington
- kristinamarieyoga on Portobello Wellington