Spanakopita is one of my all-time favorite things to eat. I wanted to try and create a healthy version of this traditional Greek dish with little to no-oil and make it vegan. Removing the feta and olive oil seems somewhat sacrilegious, it’s such a staple of the traditional recipe and Greek cooking! However, you are not even going to miss it with my version of this recipe. I have added much healthier ingredients and it is full of flavor. You will be singing me praise after you make this – trust me.
It looks like a lot of ingredients, but it’s really easy to make. I actually took some step by step pictures for you!
Mash up your beans, it’s fun to do. =)
Saute some yummy, super healthy ingredients.
Layer your phyllo dough and brush with your flaxseed mixture.
Layer your spinach mixture on top.
Top with remaining phyllo dough and flaxseed mixture.
Bake in preheated oven.
And Voilà! There you have it – Delicious and Healthy Vegan Spanakopita! Enjoy!
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15) oz can no or low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
- 2 (10) oz packages frozen cut spinach, thawed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
- Flaxseed Mixture:
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly spray a 9x9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green onion, garlic and two tablespoons water. Water sauté on medium-low for 5 minutes, adding a tablespoon of water when necessary to prevent sticking, until onions are translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, or until excess water has evaporated. While spinach is cooking, add remaining lemon juice, maple syrup and flaxseed meal to a small bowl. Stir to combine, set aside and allow to thicken. Add the remaining ingredients, except the phylllo dough, and cook an additional 5 minutes on medium to medium-low heat. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on the bottom of the baking dish. Lightly brush sheet with the flaxseed mixture using a small pastry brush. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with flaxseed mixture, and repeat process with 4 more sheets of phyllo. Spread spinach mixture into pan, then layer remaining 6 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with flaxseed mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.